Holiday Shopping Tips
We would like to share some important safety tips for your shopping security:
• Do not shop alone.
• Always be aware of your surroundings.
• Shop during the day.
• Keep your packages in your trunk.
• Park in a well-lit area.
• Never leave your car running.
• When you get in your car – lock the doors immediately.
• Be aware of your surroundings.
• Do not use walk-up ATMs – go into a store.
• Don’t overload your arms with packages.
• Have your keys out and ready when you get to your car.
• Do not carry a lot of cash.
• Make sure you have a list of all your credit cards and phone numbers in case they are lost or stolen.
• Keep your children in sight at all times.
• Have a meeting place if you are separated from your children and teach your children what to do if approached by a stranger (i.e., report to a store clerk).
• Report any suspicious activity.
• Always lock your car.
Shopping online is a good alternative but does come with some risks. Here are a few tips for online shopping:
• Use a credit card vs. a debit card.
• If possible, use a disposable credit card, i.e., prepaid card or gift card.
• Always use a secure site. A secure site will begin with https:// vs. http://.
• Never “store” your information.