Preventing Vehicle Theft
The Central Dispatch Office is offering the following tips to help keep your belongings and automobile safe:
• Always lock your automobile and take your keys.
• Make sure all windows are rolled up – all the way.
• Do not leave extra or spare keys in your automobile.
• Do not leave valuables in your automobile (whether in plain sight or hidden).
• Do not leave valuables in your trunk (if your automobile is unlocked, a thief can get to your trunk).
• Park your automobile in a lit area.
• Park your automobile in your garage or driveway if possible.
• Never leave your automobile running.
• Install an anti-theft device that is highly visible, hard to defeat, and renders the automobile inoperable.
• Do not leave important papers, especially a car title, in your automobile.
• Invest in a tracking device in case your vehicle is stolen.
• Record the serial numbers of aftermarket stereos, or other items.
• Engrave your driver’s license number on your stereos, speakers, and cellular phones.
• Do not leave your garage door opener in plain sight in your automobile.
• Consider a security camera on your property.
• Report suspicious activity or persons via 911 immediately.